[ubuntu-mythtv] Strange issues with Hauppage NOVA-T tuner

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sun May 3 09:23:44 BST 2009

I have been successfully using mythtv-backend on my desktop workstation
for a couple of weeks.  I am runing Jaunty.

Yesterday I moved the Hauppage tuner over to a new server I have just
set up (also Jaunty), as this will be running 24/7, so this is a better
place for it.

I have set it up so that I can access the server with ssh with
X-Forwarding, and run mythtv-setup from this session.

Firstly when defining the cards as DVB-T it says it can't open the front
end.  Since I couldn't remember if that successfully happened when on my
workstation, I continued, creating and EIT video source and then linking
card to source.

When I try and scan for channels it refuses saying "Card not found".

I have testing the card using the instructions at
http://www.parker1.co.uk/mythtv_dvb.php, and despite the fact that the
  channel data is no longer stored where he says, I can still scan for
channels from local transmitter and watch BBC ONE over the ssh
connection using mplayer. (sound doesn't work, but presumably that is to
be expected).

So I am stuck.  It looks like the hardware is working, the firmware
downloaded and scanning works.  But mythtv-setup doesn't

Where can I go from here?