[ubuntu-mythtv] Tracking actual code/file changes

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 10 03:21:51 BST 2009

Hi Marc:

Sorry for the long delay in response.  We were discussing feasibility of
making this happen.  In short, your full request won't be easily doable, but
we do have a medium that we can meet.  The combination of the newer versions
of debcommit and bzr support adding the bug number inside the commit.  What
this means is that when we commit something to the branch, as long as we
properly document it in the commit text, bzr will automatically link the bzr
branch to the launchpad bug.  You can then look at the annotated
debian/changelog to see the commit id that this was fixed with.

So when you need to go back to check on the status of a particular fix, you
can use the web UI to find that fix and look for the commit id next to it to
see what changed.

Hopefully a newer version of launchpad will be able to provide the full
solution, but I think this is a good step in the right direction.

Regards

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:40, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I was wondering if the coders could make a quick comment (or even
> better, copy and paste a link), either manually or via the Janitor,
> to the code changes which fix various bugs - similar to what the
> mythtv developers do in trac.  This would help everyone else on the
> team to quickly (with the click of a mouse):
>
> 1. Verify that changes look correct
> 2. Verify that changes make it into a release
> 3. Makes it easier for new comers to understand what code is behind
> various functions
> 4. If there are future problems with the same bug, quickly locate the
> what was changed (ideally, file and line)
>
> In short, this tiny bit of work and helps current and future coders,
> as well as bug triagers, be more productive.
>
> On a semi-related note, there are a number of 8.10 bugs listed as
> Fixed/Committed.  I am about to move them to Fixed/Released, but
> wanted to first ask if there was any chance that bugs marked as
> Fixed/Committed didn't make it into the release?  (and now you can
> understand #2 on my list above).
>
> Thank you!
>
>   Marc

Mario Limonciello