[ubuntu-mythtv] Problems Installing Mythbuntu 8.10

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 21:28:33 GMT 2008

I am successfully running MythTV on Ubuntu Ultimate 1.9. Since I have other
SATA hard drives, I wanted to try out Mythbuntu 8.10, as well.

I checked the CD, that I burned, for errors. It was free of errors.

I was able to boot the LiveCD and install the OS with the default Display
driver. After booting the new installation to the Desktop, I installed the
Nvidia Restricted Drivers and chose 177. It would only boot to a text based
Login Prompt with no Gui. Not knowing what to do, I reinstalled the OS and
during the Install process, I selected the Nvidia 173 driver that worked for
Ubuntu 8.04 and Ultimate 1.9. It also booted to a text based Login Prompt.

Any suggestions?

I have an HP Media Center PC m7060n, 3Ghz P4, 2Gb ram, Nvidia Gforce 6200
OC, WinTV HVR1600.

rbrook1 at rochester.rr.com