[ubuntu-mythtv] Ubuntu/Mythbuntu specific kernel command line params

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon May 5 20:44:52 BST 2008

>I don't know that such a document exists, but was probably started
>at
><http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Casper_boot_process>http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Casper_boot_process
>
>Adding the word 'casper' allows all of the casper scripts to take
>control.  They are used for creating the special mount point that is
>read only w/ the tmpfs overlay.  They end up living in the initramfs
>gz.  Adding the file= allows a preseed, but nothing specific to
>Mythbuntu is in this preseed as of yet (this is changing for
>Intrepid).  It's most useful to OEMs who want to do an automated
>install.  It might actually end up being useful to you too though,
>if we end up with a special AppleTV preseed to install with all the
>best default options directly to an Apple TV.  I would be glad to
>include such a thing on the disk w/ an easy to choose option.
>
>Get things working without the preseed though before you get started.
>
>The best way to look at some of the magic happening in casper is to
>apt-get source it.  Everything is executed in canonical 'C' order
>and straightforward to follow.

Thanks for this pointer, mountroot() looks like a good place to poke around.

This question is aimed at installs without a cdrom using a reference
to the iso on a flash drive or the iso extracted to a flash drive.

Every voodoo that I've tried results in not finding the root file
system during boot of the LiveCD either as an iso or iso extracted to
USB flash drive. The USB flash drive should work as others are doing
this but for some reason it's not working under the AppleTV. I see
accesses to the internal PATA and USB flash but casper does not find
what it's looking for and I get dropped to the iniramfs prompt.

Tried a Hardy network install, interesting that the disk order
flipped, the internal PATA became "/dev/sdb" and the USB flash was
"/dev/sda". I thought disk controllers on the PCI bus were always
probed first. Danger, danger Will Robinson.

The Mythbuntu Hardy requires very minimal mods, no kernel rebuild
required as we can take advantage of passing kernel module options to
enable analog audio and IR support. I'd still like to figure out why
xorg.conf is not getting setup correctly and requires a trip through
setting the display resolution or nvidia-xsettings. As telnet/ssh are
not up, it becomes real interesting trying to open a terminal window
while the screen is messed up. Interesting the mouse/cursor tracking
is correct so if you know where to go in the menu to open a terminal
window, this can be done.