[ubuntu-mythtv] Ubuntu/Mythbuntu specific kernel command line params

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Mon May 5 20:16:03 BST 2008

I don't know that such a document exists, but was probably started at
http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Casper_boot_process

Adding the word 'casper' allows all of the casper scripts to take control.
They are used for creating the special mount point that is read only w/ the
tmpfs overlay.  They end up living in the initramfs gz.  Adding the file=
allows a preseed, but nothing specific to Mythbuntu is in this preseed as of
yet (this is changing for Intrepid).  It's most useful to OEMs who want to
do an automated install.  It might actually end up being useful to you too
though, if we end up with a special AppleTV preseed to install with all the
best default options directly to an Apple TV.  I would be glad to include
such a thing on the disk w/ an easy to choose option.

Get things working without the preseed though before you get started.

The best way to look at some of the magic happening in casper is to apt-get
source it.  Everything is executed in canonical 'C' order and
straightforward to follow.

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:

> Ok, I've search and searched and I get hints from google but nothing
> concrete.
>
> Where can I find a doc that describes the Ubuntu/Mythbuntu specific
> kernel command line params. These are "vesa", "boot=casper" and
> "file=" and such. As far I can can see (from google), there is no doc
> that describes these and that just plain silly for such a major Linux
> distribution as Ubuntu/Mythbuntu.
>
> I have a particular boot need during boot of the LiveCD on the AppleTV.
>
> Thanks
> Scott

Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com