[ubuntu-mythtv] add a kernel module to linux-ubuntu-modules?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Tue Mar 25 17:30:47 GMT 2008

I have two kernel module patches that I require for AppleTV device
support. Both involve kernel modules that are loaded, not builtin.

The first, for audio device recognition and enabling analog audio, is
easy  as I can patch sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c which is present
in linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic source.

The second is a two line device id recognition patch in
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-quirks.c. This requires usbhid to be
recompiled and that means recompiling linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic
which takes a long time. IR control could also be done by patching
appleir.c in linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic but appleir is
depreciated and should not be used anymore and patching appleir is
not the preferred method as a forced module load order of appleir and
usbhid is required.

Is there an easy way to take linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
source and add usbhid as a replacement kernel module in a similar
fashion as all the other kernel modules that are present in
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic?

This would eliminate the effort required for others to enabled analog
audio and IR control to a simple apt-get source
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic, patch it, remake and install.
Could also do a pre-packaged deb but that's another issue.

The addition of usbhid into linux-ubuntu-modules might also be
something to consider for Hardy. USB hid device ids are being added
all the time as new HID usb devices are added and usbhid seems to a
module that see a lot of changes. It's a lot easier to patch and
rebuild linux-ubuntu-modules than linux-image.

No one has pushed these trivial patches upstream so I'll have to do
it but that means at least another kernel cycle before they are
present in any kernel release.

Thanks
Scott