[ubuntu-mythtv] mythbackend, mythtv-setup core dumping

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Sat Mar 15 11:21:20 GMT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Chuck Peters wrote:
> >
> > I installed the backports to a few gutsy machines and the one that
> > doesn't have a tuner card is core dumping.
> > root at u2:# mythbackend --printexpire
> > Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> This has been leading to two things in the past:
>
> - You have a legacy GLX graphics card and that driver just got updated
> to a version that doesn't support CPUs without SSE

I double checked /var/log/dpkg.log and the video driver wasn't updated.

The video is on board and I don't use it except the console when having
problems.  For example a few weeks ago I had a problem and pulled one stick
of 128MB RAM.

- You've got a CPU that isn't supported by the general -i686 optimization.

Sounds like I need to rebuild the packages or skip running a backend on this
old machine.

It's an old piece of junk AMD K6 500Mhz with one of those VIA IDE
controllers that caused all sorts of problems, but it is the best thing I
had available so I got a cheap PCI sata controller to hold a couple hard
drives.  More detailed lshw listing below.

I had attempted using it as a frontend a few months ago, but it just doesn't
have enough video or CPU.  I tried a couple old PCI video cards I have and
that didn't help enough to get it usable as a frontend.  And  I don't think
its worth the money to buy a better video card when it probably wouldn't be
a good frontend anyway.

As far as myth is concerned the machine is used for file storage via NFS and
was doing a few myth_archive jobs to move the files.  I had tried some
commercial flagging on it but it was taking way too long and decided to use
it for the archiving since it slowed the io significantly over doing it on
the master backend/frontend.    Other than that it does nightly rsync
backups of a few machines.  I don't really need to run the backend on this
old crappy 500MHz k6 but I thought that perhaps it might work better with
the new Storage Groups.

Can you post your specs on both of those items?

     *-cpu
          product: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: 5.8.12
          slot: Socket 7
          size: 500MHz
          capacity: 500MHz
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr cx8 pge mmx
syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr up

Note it says AGP here but the motherboard doesn't have a AGP or a PCIE slot.
           *-display
                product: CyberBlade/i7
                vendor: Trident Microsystems
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
                version: 5b
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: agp agp-1.0 pm vga bus_master cap_list
                configuration: latency=32

And from lspci -v
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i7 (rev
5b) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade i7 AGP
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
        Memory at e5800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
        Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Memory at e5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 10000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [80] AGP version 1.0

Thanks,
Chuck