[ubuntu-mythtv] MythBuntu boot

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Sun Feb 3 21:44:09 GMT 2008

I'm unfamiliar with the specific boot method for MythBunutu and would
like some clarification.

When the LiveCD boots, it's using the kernel/initrd and squashfs
inside casper. Present inside the squashfs in "/boot" is another
kernel/initrd. Are these actively used during boot (via kexec or
similar) or are they just static placeholders?

I now have appletv boot using a standard (non-efi patched) kernel
through a new bootloader. This means I should be able to boot the
MuthBuntu LiveCD by ether a) booting my own kernel and kexec'ing to
the MythBuntu kernel or b) booting the MythBuntu kernel directly.
Through my work on the new bootloader, I've eliminated all the gross
efi related hacks. There a few patches and since these patches are
"clean" and not hacks, I can work on propagating them upstream for
future inclusion.

There are three main patches;

1) For console support I need imacfb or the new efifb (in 2.6.24). If
I can fake a SMBIOS/DMI structure that looks like an existing imacfb
device, then I will not need this patch as I can use unmodified
imacfb and get a proper name/device match.

2) Digital audio is working out of the box but analog audio support
need a simple patch to sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c to un-mute the
output. It's similar to the changes to support the Mac Pro.

3) IR support need a simple patch to drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-quirks.c.
Similar to the previous patch to enable IR for the Mac Mini.

Scott