[ubuntu-mythtv] Opinions regarding the Xfce move

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 27 01:17:33 BST 2007

Well at this point it's not really a matter of pros/cons on whether the move
should happen, but rather how it should happen.

The pros that we are looking at:

   - Network Manager (Read wifi) support
   - More familiar interface for people to use
   - Able to manage machine without having to log out or start control
   centre inside myth (just close myth instead)

On 9/26/07, Nick Fox <nickj.fox at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would look at this as pro/con and see what works best. What would we
> gain by switching to XFCE?
>
> -Nick
>
> On 9/26/07, Mario Limonciello < superm1 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > As many people know, we are planning to move the Mythbuntu environment
> > over to Xfce.  Unfortunately, this has a lot of hard to deal with
> > ramifications for the existing packages.
> >
> > The move is all prepared for the Live environment on CD, and works fine
> > there.  The "Mythbuntu Administration" session also has everything but the
> > background prepared.
> >
> > The problem comes with the normal environment's current openbox based
> > session.  The normal environment works by using the ubuntu-mythtv-frontend
> > package.  This sets up openbox, gdm, feh, a background and some automatic
> > login tricks.
> >
> > How do we handle the migration over to the new Xfce based env?  I'm not
> > sure it makes sense for existing feisty ubuntu-mythtv-frontend users that
> > upgrade to gutsy to suddenly get these dependencies on Xfce, and
> > consequently all these mythbuntu packages too.
> >
> > To me, it's almost making more sense to just make the "Mythbuntu
> > Administration" session the only session ever logged into, and probably
> > rename it to "Mythbuntu".  When the user chooses to do an automatic login,
> > add mythfrontend to the list of apps automatically started.  If they choose
> > not to, then take it off this list.
> >
> > I figure this would make for the least breakage for most users, and
> > probably keep our end simpler in the end.
> >
> > What do other people think?
> >
> > --
> > Mario Limonciello
> > superm1 at ubuntu.com