[ubuntu-mythtv] Feisty on flash

Björn Lundin b.f.lundin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:28:51 BST 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 01:04:19 Jonathan Rogers wrote:

>Swapping on flash might kill it faster than a /tmp or /var filesystem.

Ok, no swap, and hope memory is enough

>The most often changing files will
> probably be /var/log, so you might want to eliminate most or all of
> that. Instead of having syslogd write to files in /var/log, just point
> it at another syslogd on the network. That's what I do on my WRT54G
> running OpenWRT from its internal flash storage. There probably aren't
> very frequent changes on /var outside of /var/log.

Ok, did not know one could redirect the logging output. I'll look into
syslogd. Are you saying that everything, or at least the major part, of what
is written into /var/log, is written via syslogd? I mean, that is the only
process I need to look into?

> Another thing to consider instead of CF storage is booting over the
> network and using a fileserver for all filesystems, probably NFS.
> Since the machine functions as a mythfrontend, it can't do anything
> independent of the network anyway, right? Putting the entire
> configuration on a network server allows you to control everything there
> and avoid using any CF.

Hmm, yes. But then I still need a harddrive? I'm also a bit hesitant due to
how long it will take to boot over the network. I got a 100Mb network, but is
that fast enough for acceptable boot times. But getting rid of the harddrive
is my primary goal.

Thanks for the input

--
/Björn