[ubuntu-mythtv] Mirrors for USA (Alpha4)

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 20:51:50 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 14:13 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Alright, i've updated the front page as well as the Downloads page to
> reflect these mirrors.
>
> Something we might consider adding as we get more mirroring is a way
> to distribute downloads across the mirrors.  I'm not sure of the most
> optimal way to do this.
>
> The thought that would come to mind would be to query their physical
> location against a connecting ip, and then redirect them to one of the
> mirrors that should be physically closest.  The other idea would be a
> round robin DNS setup that would just send someone to a different
> mirror upon each click.  The problem would then be that people
> wouldn't necessarily get the fastest of connections to the most
> appropriate mirror.
>
> Anyone on list have some ideas of the best way to handle this?
>
> Mario

How about a simple php script that detects the country of requester via
IP?  If it is a:

US IP, round-robin between the US mirrors (I wouldn't think that the
geo-nearest would make much difference to DL speed)

UK IP, to the UK mirror

Rest of world, round-robin between all of them?

I have noticed that the Atlantic crossing has been pretty slow
recently.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker