[ubuntu-mythtv] myth-database requires update-notifier?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Sep 4 01:28:18 BST 2007

I'm about to bring the database portion (i.e. local mysql server) back
into my Feisty myth{back,front}end machine and thought the
mythtv-database patckage is the one to install to bring in the
dependencies (i.e. the mysql server, etc.).  However, I noticed trying
to install it that it wants to bring in a whole lot more that I think I
really need:

  dbus dbus-1-utils gamin gnome-mime-data hal launchpad-integration
  libaspell15 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
  libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0
  libbonoboui2-common libenchant1c2a libgamin0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common
  libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
  libhal-storage1 libhal1 liblaunchpad-integration0 libsexy2 libvte-common
  libvte9 libwnck-common libwnck18 libxres1 mythtv-database
  notification-daemon python-apt python-cairo python-central python-dbus
  python-gconf python-glade2 python-gnupginterface python-gobject python-gtk2
  python-numeric python-pyorbit python-support python-vte shared-mime-info
  synaptic update-manager update-manager-core update-notifier

I noticed this in the myth-database package:

Depends: mythtv-common (= 0.20.1+fixes14021-0.0ubuntu0mythbuntu1), libdbd-mysql-perl, mysql-client, cron, update-notifier, debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0

All of those except update-notifier makes sense.  What does
update-notifier have to do with myth-database that it should depend on
it?

I suspect this is the package that is bringing in that whole gaggle of
"desktop" type dependencies.  I don't really want all that crap on my
machine.  It works just fine right now as a dedicated back/front end
combo machine and all I really want to do is move the mythcoverg
database back onto the machine (it's located on my network mysql server
right now).

Thanx,
b.

Brian J. Murrell