[ubuntu-mythtv] Mythbuntu - Lirc Ideas

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 18 18:32:48 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 02:04:35AM -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> A later expansion on this I forsee is shipping a udev rule that will
> restart lircd upon plugging in / booting with plugged in or unplugging
> any of the usb modules.  I'm not sure how powerful udev is for this sort
> of thing (any udev hackers subscribed ?).  I see it most definitely a
> step in the right direction and worth investigating.

The real problem here is that lircd isn't hot-plug-aware (at all).  If
you unplug a USB remote while mythtv is running, you have to restart
lircd _and_ mythtv.  (i.e. all lirc clients need to restart too.)  Same
goes for plugging a device in.  :(

The best thing I can imagine for this would be perhaps a hal rule that
pops a warning window (like is done for when a USB disk is yanked out),
saying something like "A USB lirc remote device has been (dis)connected.
Please restart mythtv to gain access to it."  And maybe have hal restart
lircd?

--
Kees Cook