[ubuntu-mythtv] Mythbuntu - Lirc Ideas

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 11 08:43:02 BST 2007

Folks,

I have a bit of a follow up regarding the lirc situation, but need some
input what to do now.

I got the new version of lirc (0.8.2) into Gutsy, and a new feature of
it is a nifty lirc.hwdb file.  It outlines what lircd.conf goes with
what remote as well as what driver goes with what remote and some other
info.

The new way the GUI works, is by parsing this file for that information.
 Instantly, all remotes that are supported by LIRC publicly are
supported in mythbuntu.  I've got backend code to sort out using the
correct lircd.conf as well as choosing the right drivers to be loaded.

This leaves two outstanding issues:

1) Anything that needs a kernel module.
Kernel modules need to be recompiled after each kernel release.  We
can't just tell people to keep using the same one over and over.  We
need some possible solutions here how to avoid such a problem.  I Tried
to mail the UMC guys to ask on their progress getting it into the
kernel, but given the no response in the last two days, its probably
better at this point to carry on with alternate solutions.  So bring
them on in.

2) Lircrc config files.
The official lirc website doesn't ship these, but expects the end user
to sort it out instead.  Generating one for each lircd.conf would be an
utter nightmare.  So any ideas how we can do such things on the fly?
It's not exactly a solution to just ship a few of them either.  It's
gotta be all or nothing.

Lastly, see attached files.  This is how the gui is looking for lirc in
the installer.

Mario