[ubuntu-mythtv] Support to install on the AppleTV

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 8 15:59:00 BST 2007

Derek,

Rather than adapt an Apple TV specific version, it would be more useful
to get all the necessary patches into Ubuntu.  Looking over that parted
patch, it doesn't appear to break anything.  What kernel patch are you
using?  If it's not invasive, the kernel team is very approachable about
adding third party patches.

Why do the recovery files need to be copied to a partition on the drive?
 Is this just in case you want to go back to Apple TV software?  The
rest of the partitioning layout can be worked out using a recipe in the
Ubiquity installer.  Working out recipes for installation is something
else that was already planned anyhow.

Regarding the NVIDIA driver, i'm quite curious as to the performance of
the Apple TV.  Since you can load the proprietary video driver, you can
likely use XvMC for video playback.  It is of course a limited 1GHz
processor, but with offloading the work onto the GPU, does HD playback
handle well/at all?

What sort of tweaks were necessary for the xorg.conf as well?

Mario