[ubuntu-mythtv] Support to install on the AppleTV

Derek Keefe dkeefe at eoimaging.com
Wed Aug 8 14:24:30 BST 2007

Hi Mario,

Thanks a lot for adding this feature.  Unfortunately today there is no
easy way to get a standard linux distro on to an appletv however it can
be done without an intel mac.  The process is roughly the following:

1.  Remove the appletv's disk from the appletv and partition the disk
with the appletv's recovery guid (this is accomplished using a patched
version of parted) and copy the recovery files onto this partition.
Also, the special appletv bootloader requires a ext2 formatted /boot
partition.  The other partitions are / (formatted as ext3) and a 1 gb
swap.

2.  Using a usb to 2.5" hard disk adapter, plug the disk into a normal
pc and install mythbuntu onto it.

3.  The linux kernel needs to be patched in order to work correctly on
the appletv.  The next step is to copy a appletv specific linux kernel
onto the disk.  I am using 2.6.22.1 now.  I usually check the disk
partitioning again with parted to make sure the mythbuntu installer
didn't screw anything up.

4.  At this point the disk is ready to use in the appletv.  Install it
back into the appletv and boot it up.  The nvidia driver and lirc won't
work because the kernel has changed, so you need to recompile both of
those.  This usually involves installing a few extra packages (g++,
libc6-dev, etc.).  Also the xorg.conf needs to be tweaked.  After
rebuilding the drivers and rebooting, you should be ready to go.

That is it in a nutshell.  If you are interested in building an appletv
specific mythbuntu installation, I'd be happy to provide you with the
necessary kernel patches.  The appletv recovery guid patch for parted is
here:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2007-May/001732.html

Thanks again for your help,
Derek