[ubuntu-my] New project to promote Ubuntu on OEM PCs in Malaysia

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Jun 1 09:14:32 UTC 2011

Largely reposting from the foss.org.my list (so please excuse me if you
have read it already), I'm announcing the launch of a project to promote
the distribution of Ubuntu on low-spec OEM PCs in place of FreeDOS.  It
is funded and will be led by FOMCA, the Federation of Malaysian Consumer
Organisations, in partnership with local FOSS people, including I hope
the Ubuntu Malaysia group!

The objective of the project is to convince the OEMs and computer
retailers who are distributing PCs and laptops with FreeDOS (or, less
commonly, with a version of LInux that boots to the command line), to
ship them with Ubuntu instead.

I have nothing against FreeDOS, but it is obviously not remotely useful
for most people.  In reality the only reason why such a useless
operating system is preloaded is because users are expected to replace
it with a pirated copy of Windows immediately.

Instead if these units were shipped with Ubuntu, users booting it up for
the first time or playing with it at the dealer would be struck by the
fact that, actually here is a really damned good operating system and
maybe there is no need to replace it with a pirated version of Windows
at all.

What is needed is for a person or team from the FOSS community to make a
project of liaising with OEMs and retailers to explain how easy it is to
preload Ubuntu, to present their customers with an attractive, useable
computer right out of the box, at no cost to the OEM or the user, and at
the same time discouraging piracy of Windows.

As I mentioned, FOMCA will be leading a project along these lines and
would be keen to cooperate very closely with Ubuntu Malaysia volunteers.
 We do have some funding for project expenses.  So please contact me on
or off list if you are interested in participating, and I will send more
information.

By the way, if your first question is "who the hell are you", well I'm a
Debian developer and Ubuntero working in Kuala Lumpur for Consumers
International leading its global campaign on Access to Knowledge (A2K -
which includes FOSS advocacy).  My desktop here at Consumers
International runs Natty and last year I printed off a thousand Maverick
DVDs to distribute with a book on A2K.

I look forward to working with some of you on this project!

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't