[ubuntu-my] Novell, Open Source? ... Hah! (was Ubuntu ditches X for Wayland?)

Ghodmode ghodmode at ghodmode.com
Wed Dec 8 20:07:15 GMT 2010

Hey Eric... chill...
This wasn't a personal attack.

I didn't claim that Novell didn't contribute or that they just buy stuff and
package it as their own.  I only suggested that they haven't created new
open source products.  They have made tremendous improvements to the
products they've acquired and it has benefited our community greatly.

I did say that it was just my opinion.  And I called it "a bad vibe" because
I don't have any concrete reasons.  I purposefully didn't bring up the
Microsoft-Novell deal from 2006 because that topic has been beat to death,
but that *was* the event during which they crossed the line for me.

How was I mistaken or ill-informed about?  Where's the FUD?  If my dates are
wrong, I blame Wikipedia because that's where I got them.  I referenced the
source.  The rest was my opinion.

I already knew about most of Novell's contributions to open source.  I'm
sure that everything you've mentioned is accurate, but it hasn't changed my
opinion.

As a company, I doubt Novell's sincerity and goals in working with the Open
Source community.  This says nothing about the individuals working at Novell
on their Open Source products.  I'm certain that Loong Jin about many FLOSS
employees being FLOSS evangelists.  I also agree with him about Novell's
reasons for not chancing a betrayal of the Open Source community.

In any case, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

-- Vince