[ubuntu-my] Novell, Open Source? ... Hah! (was Ubuntu ditches X for Wayland?)

Ghodmode ghodmode at ghodmode.com
Tue Dec 7 23:13:54 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm? Novell deals with closed-source things? I haven't heard about that.
> What
> closed-source products do they have?

Novell has a long history of closed, proprietary software and hardware
products.  Groupwise and NetWare were the two that I'm the most familiar
with, but I took a look at their Wikipedia page (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell) and saw some others that I am familiar
with, including WordPerfect and Quattro Pro.

Novell didn't start getting involved with Open Source software until late
2003 when they bought Ximian, the original creators of the Evolution email
client.  They bought SuSE later that same year.

As far as I know, Novell never innovated any new Open Source products or
software.  They've only acquired some other open source companies and worked
to make their products commercially viable.

In my opinion, Novell has never been a purveyor of Open Source products and
has only been superficially friendly with OSS groups.

I'm using SuSE on one laptop.  I usually use Ubuntu, but this laptop's video
chipset has some issues with the video driver packaged with Debian-based
distributions.

--

Vince Aggrippino
a.k.a. Ghodmode

For more information, or a sample of my work, visit my site at
www.ghodmode.com