[ubuntu-my] [webteam] - Moving ubuntu.com.my to new server

ApOgEE jerungkun at gmail.com
Thu May 28 06:34:37 BST 2009

Dear Web Team,

We have been delayed this since I'm very busy to work on it. And seems that
everyone is simply waiting.
Thanks for your patient.

Anyway, I expect that when the MSC Open Source Conference is happening, our
website will be flooded with more visitors. So, we can't wait anymore.

Here is my suggestion plan on moving our:
1) ubuntu.com.my
2) wiki.ubuntu.com.my
3) forums.ubuntu.com.my
to the new server.

I thought, we already have one new server on oscc called baung which is
handled by Mr. Haris and E-jat. I need to confirm this again whether we are
going to fully point the domain ubuntu.com.my to this server and run
everything from here.

ubuntu.com.my transfer plan
for ubuntu.com.my website, first of all, we are going to install new drupal
on the server and we are going to modified it to match our current site. I
need e-jat to provide us temporary domain for the new server for webteam to
tweak it around and when it is ready, we can ask myapit to point the
ubuntu.com.my domain later.

forums.ubuntu.com.my transfer plan
we are going to put our forum on Maintenance mode (where no new post will be
made) export the current forum database and import it on the new server.
Then, copy the whole forum and extract it. this way, we won't loose any
data. After that, we will upgrade the forum to the new version. when it is
ready, mypapit could point the forums.ubuntu.com.my domain.

wiki.ubuntu.com.my transfer plan
same as the forum. set on maintenance mode, export database, import it on
new server, copy all files, point the domain, tweak some more to make it
works, and we are done. there might be some glitches on the .htaccess
setting and so on but we can solve it together and make it working.

This is my suggestion. If you guys have better or simpler way, please
discuss it here.

@E-jat, if there is any issue about the new server, please tell me.

Thanks all...

--