[ubuntu-my] Pidgin login screen

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 09:13:53 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 14:26 +0800, gunbladeiv wrote:
> Salam,
>
> I would like to ask if there is posibilities to display login screen
> everytime people start pidgin.  There is a person from Iran asking me
> about this.  He would like to implement Ubuntu on a cyber cafe(so for
> those who might want to establish a cyber cafe should be aware of this
> problem) - but on client side, there will be a big problem for them to
> login to YM/Gtalk/etc.  As far as i know, there only option on 'dont
> remember password' but pidgin will try to connect to en existing account
> by default.
>
> If someone know how to solve this problem, please share your knowledge with us.
>
> Thank you in advance

Actually I think that if you remove the ~/.purple folder, it'll open the
Accounts window upon startup. So you could perhaps do something like
this:

1. sudo dpkg-divert --rename /usr/bin/pidgin
(Makes dpkg move /usr/bin/pidgin to /usr/bin/pidgin.distrib)
2. Create an executable shell script in /usr/bin/pidgin containing this:
#!/bin/sh
pidgin
rm -rf $HOME/.purple

This should automatically purge account information when pidgin is
closed, as well as trigger pidgin to open its Accounts window the next
time pidgin is started.

--
Regards,
Chow Loong Jin