[ubuntu-my] Talent search is on for cybersecurity students

Eric Yeoh msiantuxlover at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 04:48:43 BST 2009

Haris,

I have a right to be concerned as the civil service runs on our tax
money. We pay for the equipment, their training and as such I believe
as a tax payer and citizen I have a right to be upset at the general
dismal performance among the ICT people in the service. Would you pay
a mechanic who did not repair your bike fully? Where is the
accountability?

Having a few teams around as "among" the knowledgeable ones is quite
bad out of 2000 (as per to your figure).

Having circulars, policies and guidelines around in one thing but will
those be implemented? Will the Managers/Officers understand the
seriousness of security? Have they read the circulars, policies and
guidelines instead of me who can't affect their ICT policies and put
those into action?

As the community we can help, the hand is stretched out in friendship
but there seems to be no takers. They know of the existence of OSS
communities; the MyGOSSCONs, Strategic Thrust Workshops, OSS
Opportunity Workshops, Accelerated Adoption Workshops and even the
just concluded MSC OSCONF. Many of the community members are also
members of the civil service or at least work with them closely. These
people effectively become mini ambassadors and they would have spread
the word; nowadays in KL at least, it is difficult to find one IT guy
who has never heard of Ubuntu or Linux.

While we can do our best to "persuade" them to join us in discussions,
if so much persuasion is needed then it seems to be a lack of genuine
interest. After all, what we are offering is basically free of charge,
and even that has no takers.

And I always believe that to catch a thief one needs a thief or at
least think like a thief. You need to know how the attack works. If
our brethren in the service feel that they have no chance to work with
mock attacks at work, that's where the community comes in. We can help
in that aspect. That's why a genuine engagement needs to be
established. It can be unofficial at first, but at least there is an
engagement.

I will relish the idea of meeting the MOF people but then again will
they be willing to engage me? Outside of work and as a member of the
community? As a normal Joe Public? If so, please do setup a meeting.
It will be stimulating to talk to people who has the knowledge.

The general mindset of "tidak apa" and "relax-lah" needs to change. As
a citizen I lament this.

Indeed it is nice to "spar" with you.

Ok back to sleep, the medication is setting in.

Eric