[ubuntu-my] MSC Malaysia Open Source Conference

Nicholas Ng nbliang at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 01:12:06 BST 2009

Hi all,

Someone (FVDS) has some suggestions how we can do public relation for
the MSC Malaysia Open Source Conference in Times Square in K.L.

1.  We need a slogan, something like:

OPEN SOURCE: MOST WE HAVE IN COMMON THEREFORE WE HAVE POTENTIAL

2.  Publicity to local TVs or medias:

Do some promotional ads on TVs or other medias such as local
newspapers, online blog, forum, etc (eg. Digg.com, etc).  Something
like what our Indonesia friends have done:

  http://www.belutz.net/2009/02/10/indonesia-go-open-source-ads/

3.  Invite VIPs:

The suggestion is to invite our PM or other VIP in the Government (to
make big impacts, including media coverage). But he or she will need
to be informed about the philosophy and what open source is all about.
It would be nice the VIP can give some (opening?) speech.

Just a suggestion for the speech (unedited yet, no time):

"Open Source is a concept or format as you want in which ALL PEOPLE
can contribute to DEVELOPMENT, RESEARCH AND IMPROVEMENT in an Open
Environment such as Communities, Fora and Groups, in which people can
supply, such as,  feedback, additional improvement and suggestions.
The Source Code is public; is for everyone available. The 'philosophy
of Open Source' available for everyone and
improvement through everyone; It gives challenges to people to
discover the potentials of yourself and others.

As I said Open Source is not the cruisade Linux versus the big
companies which dont make use of the Open Source-philosophy. On the
contrary it is a concept that has been existing for years without
knowing maybe.........(pause)

For instance for decades Open Source has been existing. I mention a
few examples like: HTML, JAVA, PERL, MYSQL, POSTGRESQL, DOS, FTP, PHP.
Especially now with the introduction of Cloud Computing people have
the free choice which software they want. They can choose which
software they prefer and pay for that. It is like pay-tv, for instance
ASTRO. Now people pay for the internet-provider; In the future people
can additionally choose for the concept of cloud computing. Last one
enables them to choose on a tailor-made basis and pay for this a
relatively small amount of money. An additional advantage is that they
dont need heavy equipped pc's just a little cheap device which connect
to the Cloud Computer which is delivering stable applications of all
kinds.

As I said Open Source is a concept like Mc Donalds, KFC and The Store.
It is offering young people great opportunities especially in these
times where budgets of companies and consumers are substantially
shrinking. Now we are able to offer the market excellent alternatives
because the open source has become professional on a very high level.
Open Source has two advantages: It offers huge possibilities for the
young graduates while on the other hand the market can profit of
“free” or “very relatively cheap” software. In this respect I would
like to add Open Source is not meaning that the offered applications
are always “free” available. Interesting development is the fact that
the Malaysian Government has been supporting and initiating the “Open
Source” philosophy for a number of years."

4.  Form a Task Force (TF)

This TF should have clear tasks for each member.  This is demanding a
lot of energy, hard working and also stress (deadlines).  This TF will
make sure all items / preparation / etc are carried out and done
before the conference.

Please do consider the above suggestion. Thanks.

Cheers,

Nicholas Ng
Ubuntu Malaysia LoCo Team