[ubuntu-my] Standardizing the Ubuntu Malaysia

Shaiffulnizam Mohamad shaifful.md at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:33:46 BST 2009

Think ubuntu.com.my suits our purpose, If we change, then it will
confuse our user. Better focus on one name, then after that we build
it as we want. Other domains, can be just pointed to ubuntu.com.my

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Eric Seidlitz <seidlitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just my RM 0.02 (which these days is rounded down to zero, right?):
>
> 1. Name sounds good.
> 2. The logo rocks. My only question about "ubuntu-my" is: How many
> people know that "my" means Malaysia? Will it confuse English speakers
> who think it's an error and should be "my-ubuntu"? Okay, that was two
> questions. :^)
> 3. I prefer ubuntu.com.my, as it is a more intuitive domain name. But if
> we go with "ubuntu-my" as part of the official logo, etc., then it makes
> sense to be consistent and use Canonical's URL as the default. But if
> everything's pointing to the same content, maybe it doesn't matter what
> we use, right?
> 4. No additional comments...
>
> Good work, guys!
> Eric
>>
>> Guys and girls,
>>
>> Since our LoCo team is now approved as official team, I think it's
>> time to finalize and standardize some of our brands such as logo,
>> name, etc. I hope that all of you can contribute and finalize our
>> branding so that we can go further as official team.
>>
>> To start with, here are some of the suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Official name
>>
>> Our team or community should be officially known as "Ubuntu Malaysia
>> LoCo Team". Or otherwise if you have better suggestion of it. This
>> official name can be used in our e-mail signature, business card (for
>> official Ubuntu members - with @ubuntu.com e-mail), etc.
>>
>> 2. Logo
>>
>> As suggested previously (back in 2007?), I would like to proposed for
>> the logo as attached ("ubuntu-my-small.png" for the complete logo, or
>> the attached "ubuntu-my-logo.png" by ApOgEE combined with the word
>> "ubuntu-my") as our official LoCo team logo. Other suggestions are
>> welcomed.
>>
>> 3. Domain name
>>
>> Should we use the [1] standard domain name of "ubuntu-my.org" (owned
>> and provided by Canonical) as our official domain name and have our
>> existing "ubuntu.com.my" (owned by mypapit) and "ubuntu.org.my" (owned
>> by me) domain names to point to it.
>>
>> 4. Websites and other online services
>>
>> Referring to point #3, our website should contained our official logo
>> and name, and use the default Ubuntu theme (as what we currently
>> have). As this is our brand and we should standardize it by using our
>> official team name, logo and domain.
>>
>> Again I hope to get feedback, comments and suggestions from all of
>> you, and if I do miss out other points that you think are necessary or
>> important, please share it with all of us here.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoHosting#Domain%20Name%20Service
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nicholas Ng
>> Ubuntu Malaysia LoCo Team
>>
>> http://ubuntu.com.my
>> http://forums.ubuntu.com.my
>> http://wiki.ubuntu.com.my

This email is from Shaiffulnizam Mohamad 019-9837078
http://www.joomla-my.org |  http://www.joomla.my
Founder of Malaysian Joomla Community!