[ubuntu-my] Bringing Ubuntu and open source to Malaysians

zarul shahrin zarulshahrin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:38:26 BST 2008

How sad, I think I am no longer have heart for the community, I am proud
that I founded the group and built it from zero, well, we might not be as
active as the group from other countries but getting this far is already
beyond my expectation. Anyway, this group is getting bigger I will let
people who are more active like  Nicholas, mypapit and e-jat to take over
the leadership. I want to see the community grow, I really want to lead the
group , but for the past 1-2 years when the group is getting bigger,I
realized that I am holding a different ideology than many people that make
my objective for the group is something not relevant. I don't think many
people will agree with me.

So I think the best way is for me to pass the leadership to others. I am
sorry that I am failing some of you here, but when I founded the group, I
wasn't dreaming having a big community and make profit from it. I did it
because I fell in love of Ubuntu and back then it wasn't as famous as now
and people contribute as they like, no commitment and nobody will force
anyone to do anything, it's a free community in a free cyber world, but
things changed... Nothing is free anymore, the community has adopted a
businessman way of thinking. Open Source is no longer something you do for
fun in your free time. It has become a business where you need to be fully
committed. Well, it's true this way of thinking will give you the chance to
profit from it. But, that's against my belief, the open source religion
which I once was a devoted follower. Things changed, I don't want to be the
barrier to anyone with my narrow mindedness.

I am not putting away the principle that I've been upholding, I built the
group, no matter how bad/suck I am as a leader, I have achieved what I
wanted, to take it from nothing to where It is now, though some might claim
that I did nothing. But it's now no longer relevant to me... The group is no
longer my group , the group is no longer carrying the same teaching of a
religion that I was once a follower.

I wish the people who will take over the leadership will take care of the
group well, we might have a different ideology, but I will still give my
support at least as an ex-follower of the so called free software movement,
a religion which is no longer valid to me. I wish you guys all the best, and
I would like to apologize for anything bad I have done. I believe you guys
will be able to give a new light to the group with your style of leadership
and I hope that everyone will learn something from my mistake as a leader.
Nicholas, thank you for being with me from day one. I was hoping that you
will take over the leadership, but I understand that you have your own
commitment.

As for the rest of you, thank you for supporting Ubuntu Malaysia and for
making it where it is now.

p/s: I will send an email out to some of you guys in few days time regarding
the leadership of the group.

Zarul