[ubuntu-my] Ubuntu-MY WebTeam Volunteer

ApOgEE jerungkun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 19:05:01 BST 2008

Hi guys,

Jorge O. Castro sent me declined reply for requesting mailing list on
launchpad due to some issue with ubuntu and launchpad. Seems like the team
stuck in the middle where Launchpad can't host the list because ubuntu
already said that they will host all ubuntu related mailing lists under
lists.ubuntu.com while in ubuntu current policy, they can only allow one
mailing list for each LoCo.

So, I have consult with Launchpad and they will bring this issue on their
next meeting. So, for the time being, we can use groups.google.com to host
the webteam discussion. Do you people agreed?

Here is the group page, feel free to add yourself here:

http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-my-webteam

However, this may not be permanent as Jorge O. Castro already promised me to
attend the meeting and get clarification regarding this issue.

Here's the detail conversation log:

<ApOgEE-> jtv, i got decline reply from Jorge O. Castro says The right place
to ask for an Ubuntu mailing list is rt at ubuntu.com. How was that?
<ApOgEE-> previously, I clicked on the request mailing-list button
<jtv> ApOgEE-: I don't know about Ubuntu, but that sounds like a request
tracker.
<leonardr> ApOgEE: rt at ubuntu.com is the ticket tracker
<ApOgEE-> leonardr, I do it on launchpad
<ApOgEE-> i did it from here
https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-my-webteam/+mailinglist
<jtv> ApOgEE-: maybe the problem has something to do with what the list is
for.
<ApOgEE-> jtv, the page stated The application for this team's mailing list
has been declined. Please contact a Launchpad administrator for further
assistance.
<ApOgEE-> any problems?
<jtv> ApOgEE-: I see, this is a LoCo team.  I don't know how Ubuntu mailing
lists are set up, but it sounds like there's a special arrangement for
setting those up.  You can always try emailing that address.
<leonardr> ApOgEE: i think this is the issue: because your project is part
of ubuntu, you should talk to the ubuntu maintainers to get a list set up
<leonardr> that is, send a request to rt at ubuntu.com to get a task ticket
<ApOgEE-> i see...
<kiko> leonardr, ApOgEE-: well, hang on a second.
<kiko> leonardr, ApOgEE-: would a launchpad mailing list not serve what
ApOgEE- is looking for?
<kiko> we're happy to host ubuntu mailing lists -- they don't show up under
lists.ubuntu.com, but instead are LP mailing lists
<leonardr> kiko: i don't see why it wouldn't, but his request was rejected
<kiko> but that's usually fine
<leonardr> possibly because it wouldn't show up under lists.ubuntu.com
<kiko> ApOgEE-, leonardr: the right person to talk to is jcastro
<kiko> jcastro, ping?
<cody-somerville> The CC said that the community shouldn't use the launchpad
mailing lists yet
<jcastro> kiko: pong
<ApOgEE-> jcastro, told me to ask rt at ubuntu.com instead
<kiko> cody-somerville, jcastro: why not?
<jcastro> kiko: the CC decided to use lists.ubuntu.com
<kiko> why?
<jcastro> namespace issues or something I guess.
<kiko> it's much harder to manage those lists
<kiko> I think the CC should really reconsider that suggestion
<kiko> and we can fix whatever issues people are having as long as they
don't decide to not use the lists themselves :)
<jcastro> kiko: I just decline on LP and approve in RT, I neither made the
decision or had anything to do with it. (ie. Don't shoot the messenger!)
<cody-somerville> kiko: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda/talk
<kiko> jcastro, I'm not shooting you, but I think it's kinda crazy to create
more work for IS after having mailing lists actually reimplemented in
launchpad to avoid this
<kiko> thanks cody-somerville
<jcastro> kiko: I agree
<jcastro> thanks for that cody-somerville
<kiko> it has to do with the lists appearing under lists.ubuntu.com
<kiko> I wonder if that's really such a big deal, or if them being linked
from lists.ubuntu.com would be good enough
<jcastro> kiko: having to manage RT and stuff now, I would say, the sooner
someone were to fix the stuff mentioned on that wiki page so I can just
approve via launchpad, the better. :)
<kiko> jcastro, we need to figure out why lists.ubuntu.com is important. is
it just the directory? or something else?
<jcastro> kiko: I am not sure, Jono was the poc for all this but he's on
holiday
<kiko> jcastro, you can fit right in :)
<ApOgEE-> jcastro, is that means I can't create mailing lists for my team
then?
<jcastro> for a LoCo?
<jcastro> no, those go under lists.ubuntu.com
<ApOgEE-> jcastro, actually we have loCo mailing list but we would like to
separate the list just for the web team
<ApOgEE-> so it won't mixed up with LoCo mailing lists. can I do that?
<jcastro> ApOgEE-: policy right now is only one mailing list per LoCo.
<ApOgEE-> jcastro, I see... even on launchpad mailing lists?
<jcastro> not really, but they don't want ubuntu mailing lists on launchpad
to begin with
<jcastro> at this point I think discussing this with the CC at the next
meeting would probably help iron all this out
<ApOgEE-> If that so, I'll just use groups.google.com then
<jcastro> ApOgEE-: kiko: I'll attend the CC meeting on the 5th and see if we
can't get some clarification on this
<jcastro> because the current situation is just as bad if people end up
going to freelists/google groups, etc.
<kiko> cool
<ApOgEE-> thanks jcastro , kiko

Best Wishes,