[ubuntu-my] Ubuntu-my Digest, Vol 20, Issue 14

Donald P Kong dpkong at pc.jaring.my
Sat Aug 16 13:30:03 BST 2008

there is a possibility that MS may be pushing vendors by "subsidising"
Vista on laptops. Users will then likely purchase Office and MS then
makes the money back.

an article somewhere on the internet noted that laptops pre-installed
with Vista also has a pre-installed Office environment which users can
use free for 90 days, after which they will have to purchase a license.

there is also mention of other "trial" software pre-installed. i found
this available on my ThinkPad which was purchased in Canada. after
conversion, it is actually cheaper than the models sold in Malaysia.

do note that countries like Germany, France and UK has a low software
piracy rate and users are most likely to pay for software they use so it
makes sense for MS to adopt such a strategy in those countries.

anyway, most Linux users in those countries just buy the laptop with
Windows and wipe out the hard drive to install Linux.

on the topics of viruses, there is a STRONG NEED to educate new Ubuntu
users on the usage of the "sudo" command. with the popularity of this
distro among new users, many browse the net looking for solutions to
their issues and are presented with many scripts which assist them to
install what they need. some of these ask elevate permissions through
the use of "sudo" to install software or configure the system.

new users should be warned that the contents of these scripts could be
dangerous if obtained from unverified sources.

--

Donald P Kong
+6019-887-7337
+6016-809-7227