[ubuntu-my] hard disk can't fdisk etc

Taisir taisir.abdullah at my.panasonic.com
Sat Apr 7 01:45:18 BST 2007

***********************
Your mail has been scanned by InterScan.-ITSC, PAVCJM.
***********-***********

Dear Ubuntu gurus, geeks & fans,

I have an old laptop (thinkpad 240x) - with no internal floppy / cdrom.

It has 12G hard disk with some "tik tik" sound during booting (bad
sector maybe?) - but operation inside WIN2000 is OK.

Current partition as follow :
hda1 = NTFS WIN2000 6G
hda5 = FAT32 5.5G
hda6 = FAT32 0.5G

* hda5 & hda6 was just created inside WIN2000 without any problem,
format & chkdsk also OK.

I want to install Ubuntu, but since it has no CDROM I took out the Hard
disk and connect it to other PC + IDE adapter.

The hard disk detected well, but it always failed when come to FDISK
(normal fdisk, gparted, ubuntu installer etc) - error message about Bad
Sector continues coming out but PC not freeze, and "tik-tik" sound from
hard disk also keep coming out..

I think it has to do with bad sector inside hda1.

Does anybody have idea to fix this, or at least how to make Linux ignore
hda1?

Regards,
TAISIR

This email (including any attachments) may contain propriety information that is privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the individual/entity/addresses named herein. The sending and eventual delivery of this email to any person other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of the privilege over such information or of the confidentiality that attaches to it. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete the email. You should not disclose, copy or distribute this email. Any such action taken by you is strictly prohibited and is unlawful which may cause consequential action being instituted against any or all of such person.
With effect from 23 January 2005, Panasonic AVC Networks (M) Sdn Bhd, Pasir Gudang, Johor,has migrated its e-mail domain from .. at mav.panasonic.com.my to .. at my.panasonic.com. Please refer to this sender address as example.