[Pkg-mozext-maintainers] Draft Mozilla extension packaging policy

intrigeri at boum.org intrigeri at boum.org
Mon Jul 20 11:43:33 BST 2009

Hi,

Mike Hommey wrote (01 Jul 2009 05:33:25 GMT) :
> Actually, why a prefix at all ? If all extension packages Provide
> something, they can surely be searched with that... All applications
> targetted at gnome don't start with gnome- in their package name...

Having a look to the user-friendly GUI tools to find and install
software:

The easiest tool I know of (and tell my non-geek friends to use),
namely gnome-app-install, does not look at Provides:. E.g. a search on
mail-transport-agent gives an empty result list. Same for "apt-cache
search mail-transport-agent". Of course there are more elaborate ways
to search this, but many non-geek users barely know how to use
"apt-cache search"...

Synaptic provides a way to search for Provides:'ed packages.

Bye,
--
   <intrigeri at boum.org>