wrong dependence of lightning-extension

Alexander Sack asac at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 8 17:59:07 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:17:07AM +0800, 高珺 wrote:
> Hi, I'm a user of Xubuntu 9.04.
> Today, I installed lightning-extension on my computer and find some
> problems (no import menu item, etc.)
> After searching useful information on the Internet, I found it was
> caused by the wrong dependence.
>
> According to the System Requirement of Lightning.
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/system-requirements.html#linux
> It is said that:
> libstdc++5
> (Many modern Linux distributions only package libstdc++6, which is
> incompatible with Lightning. Therefore please install the package
> "libstdc++5" or "compat-libstdc++" on your system *before*
> installing Lightning)
>
> I installed libstdc++5 and then reinstall lightning-extension, the
> problem described before was gone.

This is only true for the upstream .xpi's..

Our package uses libstdc++6 because its built against that lib in the
first place. Upstream uses the v5 mostly for backward compatibility
with old OSs.

So if libstdc++5 really fixed this for you, my guess would be that you
installed lightning from the net at some point and now thunderbird only
sees that extension; thats because the profile installed extensions
always win over the system wide provided ones in mozilla land.

To check if thats your problem, go to Tools-> Addons and see if you
can "Uninstall" lighting there. If so, do it. This will make our
packaged lightning version reappear - and you wont need libstdc++5 for
that.

If not jump into #ubuntu-mozillateam on freenode; maybe someone can
help you there.

 - Alexander