Stability of Firefox 3.01 on Ubuntu 8.04

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 11 18:56:13 BST 2008

Greetings Mozillites -

I am finding that Firefox 3.01 is very unstable on 8.04.  Usually at
least a couple of times a day the browser crashes; most frequently when
I'm trying to download a file (either by clicking on a download link or
right click Save Link As).  I click on the link and *poof* the browser
is just gone.

I'm wondering if other people are having the same problem, or if it's
just me?  My co-worker is convinced that it's the fault of the Nvidia
driver that I'm using (the newest: 173.14.09), but I'm skeptical that
this would be causing problems only with firefox. The problem is so
persistent that I'm considering running a firefox binary with debugging
turned on in order to determine why it's crashing so often.