[mconnor at mozilla.com: Raising the bar on Linux]

Alexander Sack asac at jwsdot.com
Sat Jun 16 12:10:07 BST 2007

Here something posted today on those mailing lists below ... nothing
really new, but more official ...

----- Forwarded message from Mike Connor <mconnor at mozilla.com> -----

From: Mike Connor <mconnor at mozilla.com>
Subject: Raising the bar on Linux
To: dev-planning at lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-firefox at lists.mozilla.org,
	dev-apps-thunderbird at lists.mozilla.org,
	dev-platforms-linux at lists.mozilla.org

Posted previously to my blog/planet, reposting to newsgroups to get
wider communication, please follow up to dev-planning.

I’ve been having discussions with various Linux distro vendors around
updating our runtime requirements to newer/more stable versions.  We
have been building binaries that work across a large range of
runtimes and with a fairly aggressive backwards compatibility story.
We were still working with Red Hat 8.2 until sometime after Gecko
1.8, IIRC.  However, this has resulted in a lot of workarounds and
ugly hacks to keep going, especially as we start to use pango and
other newer libraries.

As a result, we’ve looked at how other apps interact with distros,
and I’ve spoke to Chris Aillon of Red Hat/Fedora, and Alexander Sack
of Ubuntu for their opinions.  What we’ve come up with, based
primarily on Chris and Alexander’s input, is a set of fairly current
runtime requirements that we will commit to supporting for Firefox
3.  Older distros will be able to have build-time support/workarounds
as necessary, but Mozilla will not ship or test builds for older
platforms.  This is still a proposal, but it seems as if everyone is
very much on the same page, so I am hoping to make this final very
soon.  Please direct any feedback to  the discussion page on the
wiki, or to this newsgroup.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Linux/Runtime_Requirements has the current
set, which we expect to adopt fairly soon.

-- Mike