Relationship with top products of the Mozilla Fundation (Firefox, Thunderbird)

roger jargoyhen rjargoyhen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 14:37:21 BST 2007

Alexander Sack a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 07:12:17AM +0200, roger jargoyhen wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu users have but a very limited choice regarding these products:
>> - either to wait for the next Ubuntu version to enjoy the latest release
>> of Mozilla software, which means sometimes delays close to six months
>> (see Thunderbird 2.0)
>> - or take things into their own hands with ensuing problems that it is
>> not useful to underline here.
>> As no harmonization between the two calendars is foreseen, this awkward
>> predicament could very well last a long time if concrete measures are
>> not undertaken to correct it.
>>

> Actually, we have feisty-backports archive for that. The problem is
> that its not really easy to upgrade firefox without having to upgrade
> lots of other applications that use the firefox provided gecko
> engine. For thunderbird and friends this is much less hazard and I
> think at least for feisyt there is a backport in preparation of
> thunderbird 2.0.
>
> Does that answer your question? Or did you ask for more?
>
>  - Alexander

Yes, Feisty backports are the solution. Your reply answers partly my
question because I did not know there was a backport in preparation for
Thunderbird 2.0. By the way, I now use Thunderbird 2.0.0.4, which as
been released about two months ago,  so, maybe this future deb is
already late...

 But yes, definitely, I do ask for more.

My proposal is to try to organize things in such a way at Ubuntu level
so that a Thunderbird deb backport could be released much sooner, about
two weeks after the Mozilla Fundation issues a stable source release.

I understand the situation is better for Firefox because the delay
between Mozilla Fundation source package and Ubuntu backport deb
releases is much shorter (and as you say, in this field, the task is
made more difficult because other applications use the gecko engine).

Roger