[Bug 269809] [NEW] Firefox misbehaves with the metacity's move_to_* features
Khanh-Dang Nguyen Thu Lam
kdntl at yahoo.fr
Sat Sep 13 12:59:17 UTC 2008
Public bug reported:
Binary package hint: firefox
The bug appears on Ubuntu 8.04.1, with the following two default packages:
- firefox version 3.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.3 and
- metacity 1:2.22.0-0ubuntu4 (Gnome's window manager).
One "hidden" feature of metacity is you can bind to a keyboard shortcut
a move_to_w function which move the focused window to the West side of
the screen. This feature do what is expected, with the exception of
To reproduce the bug, please follow these steps:
1. Start a Gnome session; metacity is used as the default window
2. Bind the move-to-west feature to the Control+Alt+O key with:
gconftool-2 --type=string --set /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/move_to_side_w '<Control><Alt>O'
3. Launch any window, e.g. a Gnome-terminal, focus the window and type
Control+Alt+O to check that the window will move to the west side of the
4. Launch firefox, focus its window. Type Control+Alt+O. The window
first goes to the west side as expected, but it immediately goes back to
its initial position (which is unexpected).
This must be a bug from firefox and not metacity. To check it, follow these steps:
5. In order to suspend the firefox process, run:
killall -STOP firefox
The content of the firefox window is no more refreshed, as expected.
6. Focus the firefox window and type Control+Alt+O. The window goes to
the west side as expected.
7. Now, let's wake the firefox process up:
killall -CONT firefox
Now, the firefox window goes back to its initial position by itself.
As I didn't try to trigger the bug on vanilla gnome and firefox programs, I am reporting the bug to this ubuntu launchpad. The bug is eventually to be reported upstream.
** Affects: firefox (Ubuntu)
Firefox misbehaves with the metacity's move_to_* features
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mozilla
Bugs, which is subscribed to firefox in ubuntu.
More information about the Ubuntu-mozillateam-bugs