[Bug 1] Re: Microsoft has a majority market share
thymythos at web.de
Mon Sep 10 10:05:50 UTC 2007
I think this bug should be a differentiated into:
1. "Microsoft has a majority market share in buissness servers"
- I DO NOT agree in this!
2. "Microsoft has a majority market share in buissness desktops"
- I think this is true, although I'm not so familiar with it. IBM is a
good example that it's maybe not true everywhere.
- What can we do about it? I think this is the most difficult part of
3. "Microsoft has a majority market share in government desktops"
- At least here in Germany this is about to change. Have a look at
Munich for example.
4. "Microsoft has a majority market share in personal desktops"
- This is the most severe part of the bug.
- What can we do about it? The problem is, I think, the ordinary desktop
user wants to buy a computer that just works and is cheap. Linux is
great for that, but unfortunatly a lot of cheap hardware does not work
under linux and no manufacturer is going to change that, because it's
not the cheap hardware they make money with.
5. "Microsoft has a majority market share for hardcore gamers"
- This is true
- What can we do about it? Hardcore gamers buy the latest and most
expensive hardware, so if gamers wanted to play under linux,
manufacturers would have to deal with it. So how can we convince gamers
to play under linux? My idea would be to set up live-DVDs with one or
more games that already work perfectly under linux and distribute them
at LAN-partys. By this, the gamers would realize how easy it is to play
games together without having to install the same patchlevel of a game
everywhere. It s more like playing on a console: Just put the DVD in and
start the computer.
Microsoft has a majority market share
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mozilla
Bugs, which is a bug contact for firefox in ubuntu.
More information about the Ubuntu-mozillateam-bugs