Why is the JetBrains Mono typeface in Multiverse?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 22 20:07:56 UTC 2022

Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 08:53:42PM +0100, Sebastian Crane wrote:

> Greetings! I use the Jetbrains Mono typeface (package font-jetbrains-mono)
> extensively. For Debian, it's in the main archive, but Ubuntu 22.04 has it in
> Multiverse. I was under the impression that Multiverse was for proprietary
> packages, so JetBrains Mono seems to be in the wrong place.

> Please could someone enlighten me on the situation? Thank you!

This package was initially published to the 'contrib' component in Debian,
which means it was auto-synced to 'multiverse' as the corresponding
component in Ubuntu.  The maintainer appears to have fixed the reason for it
being in contrib in the second upload of the package to Debian, but such
changes are not propagated automatically on the Ubuntu side.  I've moved it
to universe now, which will take effect for kinetic onwards.

The best way to get such issues addressed is to file a bug against the
package in Launchpad
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fonts-jetbrains-mono/+filebug),
and subscribe the ubuntu-archive team to the bug.

Cheers,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/