backintime: Where are the sources from?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:19:08 UTC 2022

Hey there,

c.buhtz at posteo.jp wrote:

>Why does Ubuntu use Launchpad in that case? Why this step between?
>Why not using the sources directly from ubstream?

I believe that the packages are often taken from upstream, but
Launchpad contains copies of the packages at the versions and in the
approved state that they were in at the time of that Ubuntu release
rather than their current upstream version or state. It's basically a
snapshot of all of the approved and usable packages at a specific
moment in time.

This provides a solid reference, a reliable resource, helps with
troubleshooting, and helps with decision-making for potential changes
after release. There are probably other advantages that I missed.

>And one sidequestion: Why does debian build its own package for
>backintime? It is in Debian? Why not use the Debian package? Isn't
>Ubuntu "based on Debian"?

Every package in Ubuntu must meet the Ubuntu Packaging Guide
standards and the current system of packaging or repackaging them
ensures that they all do:

https://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/

There are teams that do that sort of thing, but it can also be done
by any individuals and then approved by folks from those Ubuntu
teams, so this page might also be useful:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.