Update Ubuntu packages

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 15:41:59 UTC 2021

Hey there,

Rorden, Chris wrote:

> The current LTS of Ubuntu includes ancient versions of my software
> (from 2014 and 2018 respectively). These versions pre-date the
> release of new formats like the Enhanced DICOM data generated by
> Siemens and GE MRI scanners. Would it be possible to update these
> to match the Debian packages? In general, my tools are updated each
> six months (Fall, Spring) to keep pace with the latest features of
> GE, Philips, Siemens, UIH and Mediso scanners. Is there any way we
> can make the releases on Ubuntu match my own release cycle?

It sounds like you'd be a good candidate for using the Ubuntu interim
releases rather than the LTS releases. The interim releases usually
happen every 6 months, whereas the LTS releases happen every 2 years.

Here's an in-depth explanation of the Ubuntu release cycle:
https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

Here's are two lists of recent Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
https://releases.ubuntu.com/

Here's a wiki page on the release process:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/ReleaseProcess

Note that Ubuntu freezes the package versions before each release as
part of the development process, although each will receive updates
to those versions as they become available or are needed. Even the
interim release may not exactly keep up with the schedule you're used
to for the tools you like to use.

If you want cutting-edge software beyond what's available in the
Ubuntu package manager, you can compile the software yourself or use
a PPA, a container (Appimage, Flatpack, Snapcraft, etc.), a .deb
file, or any number of other methods for putting external software
into your copy of Ubuntu.

Note, however, that adding external software can pose the risk of
introducing malware to your machine, can cause instability when
interacting with your existing software, and can complicate the steps
you'll need to take when doing upgrades to Ubuntu. Last, but not
least, it can complicate support efforts if you ever need to turn to
others for help since they'll need to take into account that you're
working with a modified copy of Ubuntu and be aware of how the
modification(s) may affect Ubuntu or vice versa.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.