nvidia-testing PPA driver version 470

Kyle J. McKay mackyle at fastmail.com
Tue Jul 6 23:59:26 UTC 2021

On Jul 5, 2021, at 03:45, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> On 5.7.2021 12.24, Kyle J. McKay wrote:
>> Hello Alberto,
>> Thank you very much for posting the i386/amd64 builds of the
>> nvidia 470 drivers!  Much appreciated.  :)
>> I have been wanting to switch to Wayland for some time.
>> Reviewing the release notes for the 470 driver:
>>   <https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/470.42.01/README/xwayland.html
>> >
>> It lists these as "necessary to accelerated rendering on
>> Xwayland with the NVIDIA driver":
>> * "DRM KMS must be enabled."
>>     /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-drm.conf:
>>         options nvidia-drm modeset=1
>>   CHECK.
>> * "The installed copy of Xwayland should be a build from the master
>>   branch of https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver at least
>>   as recent as commit c468d34c. Note that if this requirement is
>>   not satisfied, the NVIDIA GPU can still be used for rendering,
>>   however it will fall back to a suboptimal path for presentation
>>   resulting in degraded performance."
>>   commit 763f4fb278 cherry picks c468d34c and is first included in
>>   the xwayland-21.1.1.901 release on 2021-06-30 which
>>     https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/xwayland
>>   impish now has. :)
>>   CHECK.
>> * "libxcb version 1.13 or later must be present."
>>   For some years now it looks like.
>>   CHECK.
>> * "If using the GNOME desktop environment, kms-modifiers must be
>>   enabled through gsettings. This can be done with the following
>>   command:
>>     gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features [\"kms-
>> modifiers\"]
>>   " trivial.
>>   CHECK.
>> * "egl-wayland version 1.1.7 or later must be present (if installed
>>   separately from the the NVIDIA driver)."
>>     https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/libnvidia-egl-wayland1
>>   Version 1.1.5   Oh no.  :(
>> Foiled by egl-wayland.
>> I notice that Arch linux has built version 1.1.7:
>>   https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/egl-wayland/
>> And it's been released upstream (2021-05-11):
>>   https://github.com/NVIDIA/egl-wayland/releases/tag/1.1.7
>> Any chance you might be able to add an i386/amd64 build of version
>> 1.1.7 libnvidia-egl-wayland1 to your
>>   https://launchpad.net/~albertomilone/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia-testing
>> PPA repository?
>> Or perhaps get impish's libnvidia-egl-wayland1 version bumped up to
>> 1.1.7 since that version appears to have actually been released?
>> I have Cc'd this message to the maintainer of the libnvidia-egl-
>> wayland1
>> package just in case.
>> Thank you,
>> Kyle McKay
>
> egl-wayland 1.1.7-1 uploaded to experimental, will get synced to
> impish
> later.

Timo thank you very much!

The 1.1.7 build has made its way into impish already:

   https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/libnvidia-egl-wayland1

   Package: libnvidia-egl-wayland1 (1:1.1.7-1) [universe]
   amd64 arm64 armhf ppc64el s390x

However, since libnvidia-gl:

   # currently available 465
   https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/libnvidia-gl-465

   # experimental build of 470
   <https://launchpad.net/~albertomilone/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia-testing/+sourcepub/12507185/+listing-archive-extra

both provide "amd64 i386" but the libnvidia-egl-wayland1 impish
package lacks an i386 build, the i386 version of the libnvidia-gl
drivers will be crippled when it comes to wayland performance when
running 32-bit only graphics apps (i.e. games) on a 64-bit system.

Of course, anyone so affected can just grab the 1.1.7 egl-wayland
i386 .deb directly from:

   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/egl-wayland/

But it would be nice to get the ubuntu libnvidia-egl-wayland1
universe package updated to include i386 so that's not necessary.

Any idea how to make that happen?

I have cc'd this message to the universe maintainers list just in case.

Thanks,

Kyle McKay