Update alien so it produces debs again?

Rich rincebrain at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 09:11:34 UTC 2021

Hi!
I filed a bug about this[1], but with the final freeze for hirsute on
the 15th, I thought it would be worth an email in case that garnered a
quicker response.

In brief - the version of alien shipped in hirsute (8.95.3) is
completely incapable of generating debs due to several flaws in a
commit back in 8.95.1. 8.95.4 contains fixes for these flaws, allowing
alien to once again usefully produce debs.

I would argue that, this being a deb-based distro, "generating debs"
is one of the primary purposes people use alien for, and it's
therefore pretty crucial to the package's usability to fix this.

If there's anything else I could do to be of assistance in this,
please let me know.

- Rich

[1] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alien/+bug/1922996