Packing Beginner

Eric Stricklin estricklin at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 15:18:44 UTC 2020

All,

I'm Eric, from the Southern US.  I've been using Ubuntu almost since
it's first release, and have always thought about contributing.  I work
as a developer, and I love my job but I'm very passionate about using my
skills to do something good.  This is something I've wanted to do for a
long time, but convinced myself I wasn't ready, or didn't have the
skills.  Now, I know the best way to learn is to just jump in.  I'm also
a ham radio operator (AG5EI), and I love the fact so many hams use Ubuntu.

Lately I've been reading some books on Linux in general (such as Linux
API and module development). I have followed the MOTU wikki, I have a
GPG and SSH key, and set up a launchpad account.   I've been looking
over the source code for many packages, and am currently experimenting
with making minor code changes and testing them.  I've also been
downloading and installing the daily lives.  I've been lurking a couple
of the mailing lists, and admit that a lot of what I've read there I
just don't understand yet.  I have been reading through bugs for various
packages, and Ubuntu itself a lot too.

I'm willing to help in any way I can, not just programming.  If that
means simply testing and reporting or verifying bugs.

Thanks in advance for helping me, and thanks to everyone who has
contributed to this operating system I've had the privilege of using
these past 15 years.

Eric Stricklin