Call for nominations: Developer Membership Board

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Fri Feb 7 08:21:10 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:24 AM Eric Desrochers <
eric.desrochers at canonical.com> wrote:

> Since we have not yet enough nominations and it was the same situation at
> last election 2 years ago, I started to think about what can be changed in
> our approach.
>
> One thing that comes to my mind is what if the nomination were public ?
> Right now it is private and only visible to the DMB team. It is only
> public once the condorcet vote officially start.
>
> Would it helps having more folks nominating themselves (ripple effect) if
> they see someone they know give it a try ?

IMHO yes, more like "oh he's in there I might be able to do that as well I
guess", but still I think it would help.

> Would it make the nomination less intimidating for some individuals ?

Yes to that.
Furthermore I expect it would eliminate some cases were people skip the
mail thinking "there will be enough anyway".

P.S. Just an opinion and entirely up to you, the alternating meeting time
is hard to plan for everyone.
If there would be a way to get rid of that it might help as well. I do
realize why it is the way it is (give applicants
from anywhere a better chance to attend), but I'm just saying this detail
might make your search for members harder.

Regards,
> Eric
>
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 4:06 PM Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 01:32:35PM +0000, Robie Basak wrote:
>> > The membership terms for two members (Jeremy Bicha and Mathieu
>> > Trudel-Lapierre) have expired, and the terms of the remaining members
>> > (Eric Desrochers, Micah Gersten, Robie Basak, Simon Quigley and Ɓukasz
>> > Zemczak) expire in May. Subsequently, this email is a call for
>> > nominations to fill their positions.
>>
>> We don't yet have enough nominations to fill the seats that are up for
>> election. In recent years the DMB has routinely been short-staffed,
>> blocking us from being able to appoint more Ubuntu developers.
>>
>> If you are a core dev or MOTU, please consider spending one hour every
>> other Monday to help others join us by nominating yourself for a seat on
>> the DMB[1].
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Robie
>>
>> [1]