Update of HDF5 and hdfview in Bionic

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 10 14:50:38 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 04:35:32PM +0200, Markus Johann Schmidt wrote:
> I would like to ask if there is a possibility for the HDF libraries to
> be backported (so my point 2 of my preceding mail?

It depends on your goal: do you want users installing this from the
archive to automatically receive the update you're proposing? Presumably
this is why you want to provide a backport in Ubuntu itself, rather than
maintaining a PPA (or a snap)?

Does it meet the criteria stated in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates? If so, then yes, but as I
said before, someone needs to volunteer and do the work by following the
Procedure detailed on that page.

There's also the backports process detailed at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBackports, but note that users have to
specifically opt in to receiving backports, and I'm not sure there's
anyone active in the team that reviews backports at the moment.

Finally, if your focus is on a leaf app (maybe hdfview?) then snaps are
also an option: https://snapcraft.io/

HTH,

Robie