New team for Shibboleth package maintenance in Ubuntu

Etienne Dysli Metref etienne.dysli-metref at switch.ch
Thu Apr 18 10:47:19 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

In order to better coordinate maintenance of Shibboleth-related
packages [1] in Ubuntu, I created a new team "pkg-shibboleth" on
Launchpad [2] and invite everyone interested to join it. I see this
team as a kind of equivalent to the Debian Shibboleth packaging team.
In the same move, I would like to use the Git repositories on
salsa.debian.org [3] to maintain Shibboleth packages for Ubuntu (under
the ubuntu/ namespace as per DEP-14 [4]) and keep them as identical as
possible to the Debian packages (like they are now). With common
packaging repositories, security fixes should also be easier to
coordinate (cherry-picking patches, for example).

One of my goals with this initiative is to provide backports of the
latest Shibboleth version for Ubuntu LTS releases through official
channels (i.e. <lts>-backports). I've been doing backports for Debian
since 2016 both in the official archive and with a private repository
[5] with help from the Debian Maintainer (thanks Ferenc!) and
Shibboleth developers (thanks Scott!), on time and resources provided
by my employer (SWITCH). SWITCH's private repository [5] is intended
for Shibboleth users in Switzerland, but in practice it has gained a
world-wide audience. By using official Ubuntu channels, I want to make
those packages available to every Ubuntu user without configuring a
third-party repository, as is already the case with Debian. Also this
opens the door to collective maintenance at a central place instead of
pushing other interested developers into operating their own
repository in case they want to release faster than I do or support
older LTS releases.

I hope this team gathers enough interest to build a sustainable group
of maintainers. I also warmly welcome guidance from experienced Ubuntu
developers, being quite new to Ubuntu-specific processes and tools.

Sincerely,
   Etienne

[1] source packages: log4shib, opensaml, shibboleth-resolver,
shibboleth-sp, xml-security-c, xmltooling
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=pkg-shibboleth-devel%40lists.a
lioth.debian.org
[2] https://launchpad.net/~pkg-shibboleth
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/shib-team
[4] https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/
[5] https://pkg.switch.ch/switchaai/

- --
SWITCH
Etienne Dysli Metref, Software Engineer, Trust & Identity
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zurich, Switzerland
etienne.dysli-metref at switch.ch, https://www.switch.ch/
PGP key: 27F2 6608 F52C BFBC DB5B 61A3 6965 D453 D815 31AD