scidavis 1.14

Russell Standish hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Tue Mar 28 02:42:13 UTC 2017

To Ubuntu SciDaVis package maintainer.

I am the project manager for SciDaVis. I have a question with how
package version numbers are supposed to work in Ubuntu. About 6 months
ago we switched from using Aegis to Github for version releases, and
one impact of that change was dropping the D "delta" tag from the
release numbers. The current version of SciDaVis is now 1.14.

I also distribute some prebuilt Linux binaries through the OpenSUSE
build service.

However, I notice that on Yaketty, if I add the OBS repositories, then
Ubuntu considers the latest version (1.14) a downgrade from the
version already in the Yakkety repository. Is it possible that Ubuntu
is simply doing lexicographic sorting of the version string, and thus
considers 1.D9 to be larger than 1.14, rather than using timestamps?
If so then, maybe my solution is to put the D back in, just for Debian
systems, at least until version 2.1 is released.

Or is there a possibility of getting the official Yakkety distribution
to upgrade to the latest scidavis?

Cheers

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au