new package upload policy question

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 18 19:46:34 UTC 2017

Howdy MOTU friends!

I'm seeking clarification on an Ubuntu policy, as it relates to MOTU.

My long standing interpretation of MOTU policies is that all Ubuntu
MOTUs are trusted to upload new packages to Ubuntu Universe.

Those uploads are processed (accepted, rejected) by the Ubuntu Archive
Administrators ensuring that archive policies are met -- licensing,
copyright, packaging, name spacing, etc.  On occasion, it takes a few
iterations.  But generally, high quality packages are processed in a
timely fashion (thanks, Archive Admins!).

I've never understood that a consensus of MOTU is prerequisite for a
new package to land in Universe, or am I mistaken?  What should the
policy be around the introduction of newly-packaged free software
directly to Ubuntu Universe (i.e. not via Debian)?  Should a consensus
among MOTU be pre-required before upload?

Thanks,
:-Dustin
@dustinkirkland

Ubuntu Member since 2008-05-29