PyMOL package

Ross Gammon retail at the-gammons.net
Sat Jun 13 12:38:15 UTC 2015

On 06/13/2015 01:49 PM, Brenton Horne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask what I can do (keeping in mind I am an eager novice,
> not a pro at programming) so that PyMOL 1.7.6 is available in the
> repositories of Ubuntu provided by this group. I ask because the version
> of PyMOL current in your repositories is 1.7.2.1 which is nearing a year
> old.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Brenton

Hi Brenton,

In general, packages in Ubuntu are first packaged in Debian and then get
syncronised to Ubuntu.

PyMOL is maintained by the Debchem Team:
https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pymol.html
Somebody has already submitted a wishlist bug for a new version, but it
has not been acted upon yet.

You could first try contacting the Debichem Team to see if they have
plans to package it in the next weeks. This could save you from
potentially abortive work.

If you are keen to try packaging it yourself anyway, the best bet is to
follow the advice here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted

Regards,

Ross