GMT package on ubuntu

Paul Wessel pwessel at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 16 18:21:15 UTC 2014

This is directed to the maintainer for the gmt 4.5.11-1build1 package:

We have received many emails from ubuntu users who have installed gmt via your package.  These emails shows mysterious crashes of gmt that we are unable to reproduce when we build GMT from source, or when using other platforms.  We suspect you must be using a set of compiler options (e.g., too-aggressive optimization) that is causing this problem (i.e., exposing a code weakness).  When we tell these users to build their own executables from scratch using our install script the problem goes away.  Our recipe calls for -O2 and not higher.

It would be very beneficial to the gmt developers if you could share exactly what compiler options or other directives you use in creating your gmt package so we may try to track down what is going on.

Sincerely,
Paul Wessel
GMT Lead