Old Bitcoin Core packages in old Ubuntu releases

Micha Bailey michabailey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:57:25 UTC 2014

Hi, I brought up the issue of Bitcoin Core (the new name/branding of the
Bitcoin reference implementation, to distinguish between the specific
software and the system) and Ubuntu a few months ago. I was told that while
it could be (and then it was) removed from the then-next release, Trusty,
and blacklisted from Debian syncing, it couldn't be removed from the repos.
Someone (I seem to remember it being S(teve?) Langasek) mentioned that one
possibility was an SRU (I think that was the term for it) that removed the
software by "replacing" it with a dummy package. Recently, yet another user
came in to the IRC channels and was having problems with version 0.3.24 as
shipped in precise. At the time I tried figuring out how to go about
proposing the dummy package replacement, and was unsuccessful. So, I'm
asking here: if anyone has the knowledge/skill for it and is willing to
help out with the process of "removing" the package?