Correct way to support bugfixes/packge updates

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Jun 13 10:48:04 UTC 2013

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:09:19 AM lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de wrote:
> Hello Masters,
>
> we use some packages from "universe" repository for which we like to
> push updates/bugfixes. Until now we have re-build some of these for
> our own use to get long standing bugs fixed, but IMHO it would be
> better to fix the package in the repo so others get the fixes also?
> Can someone explain what is the preferred way to for example get bugs
> fixed in the cyrus package?
>
> Can we help to prepare a merge of the actual source in the
> ubuntu/debian build?
> Who should be contacted to get something included?
>
> Thanks for any comments

If you can prepare a debdiff (see the debdiff program in the devscripts
package), file a bug against the package in Launchpad that explains the
problem, then attach the debdiff to the bug and subscribe the ubuntu-sponsors
team to the bug, someone from that team will review it for upload to the
Ubuntu archive.

Scott K